Monday 19 September 2011

Hampshire sign Katich, release Pothas

Join 24/7 Cricket News For More Updates

County Cricket

Personal ESPNcricinfo

September 16, 2011

Hampshire have signed Simon Katich as overseas player for next season but was released Nic Poth, the wicketkeeper, after his contract expired. Jimmy Adams, the opening batsman who led the team in the last weeks of summer instead of Cork Sunday, has been confirmed as captain for next year and that the purpose of recovering from the decline in county championship.

Katica deal marks a return to the club he played between 2003 and 2005. Should be available throughout the season, after losing the case in the test team in Australia and will add further strength from top to Adams, Michael Carberry and Neil McKenzie.

"I'm really looking forward to returning to the Rose Bowl as I have many good friends and memories of my earlier time in the club," Katich said. "Hampshire have given me and my family during my career and I hope to help the club continue to succeed. "

Giles White, Hampshire, said: "We are pleased with the signing of Simon He comes to us, who have been with us before, because it has enjoyed here, and we were really good, when he played for us previously has everything you need foreign player at this point ...

"It's a quality player, first and foremost. But it is a very good man, so good and the guys respect him a lot, so it's a good guy to have in the locker room. Its availability is very good as with all connected together, we are very happy. "

At the same time, Pothas, who made over 10,000 runs in his career Hampshire, insists does not intend to retire from professional cricket at the age of 37 had not been a member since suffering an appendectomy in mid-season, Hampshire and is now looking to put their faith in the return of Michael Bates.

"Although I have no intention of retiring cricket and I am sad to leave Hampshire, when the time is right I'm sure that will continue to explore other options within the cricket," said Pothas. "I still have a number of events went for my year with the club and I hope to enjoy continued support of loyal fans.

"Also, I have a number of interests in real estate market outside of cricket, as one who knows me will testify, and I will continue to explore these, as I consider my options. I want to thank all the fans and followers who have had the privilege to meet and entertain for the past nine years. Their support has been generous and valuable and for that I am eternally grateful. "

Kolpak signing Johann Myburgh and Friedel de Wet and Academy player Jamie Miller were also released before the next season.
Advertisement



Bookmark and Share This Post :


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More