Friday 2 December 2011

Swann won't Quit One-Day Internationals

Join 24/7 Cricket News For More Updates

England news

ESPNcricinfo staff

December 2, 2011

Graeme Swann has no plans to quit one-day internationals, despite his recent comments that the format should be ditched, although believes the seven-match series England are due to play in India next year is "ridiculous".

Swann came out with strong comments earlier this week saying that international cricket should involve Tests and Twenty20 but didn't expect much support for his view. However, as a cricketer who is active in all three formats he insists something has to give and in 2012 is due to spend 250 days in hotel beds.

"I do think we play way too much of it and the idea of a seven-match series in India next winter is ridiculous," he told the Daily Mirror. "But I won't hang up my one-day boots because I missed so much cricket for England over the eight years before I got back in that I don't think I'd forgive myself if I started to pick and choose what I played.

"That would turn me into the player I don't want to be and the sort of bloke I don't want to be, because I love playing for England so much. I realise I'm incredibly lucky to do what I do and I just have to get on with it. I might not be happy about playing in a seven-match one-day series, but we've got to give the best account of ourselves."

Swann admitted there have been times he has not been completely motivated for an international match due the continuous flow of fixtures. "It annoys me that your mind can be in a place where you've got an international game and you're not itching to play in it," he said.

Swann is currently on a rare lengthy break from the game since being involved on the one-day tour of India during October. He will return to action to face Pakistan in UAE next month which is the start of another hectic period of international cricket for England.

The UAE trip is followed by two Tests in Sri Lanka starting at the end of March and the home season starts in mid-May. Following the visit of South Africa there is the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka then England tour India for a trip that involves four Tests before the end of the year.
Advertisement



Bookmark and Share This Post :


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More