Wednesday 12 October 2011

Harbhajan 'surprised' at being dropped

Join 24/7 Cricket News For More Updates

India news

ESPNcricinfo staff

October 12, 2011

Offspinner Harbhajan Singh has said he was "more surprised" than hurt after being dropped from India's squad for the first two ODIs against England. Harbhajan was left out after a disappointing injury-ridden performance on the recent tour of England. The selectors chose to give Punjab legspinner Rahul Sharma a chance along with Tamil Nadu offspinner R Ashwin.

"I would not say he was injured. I was surprised," Harbhajan told PTI. "I hope the younger guys all the best. I am more than happy to share my experience with them, as he was assisted by Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble and Sourav Ganguly then I left."

Harbhajan took just two wickets in 69.4 overs against England with an average of 143.50 and economy rate of 4.11. He suffered an abdominal injury in the second test and was excluded from the last two games, and limited-overs series that followed. India lost the series 0-4 Test and ODI series 0-3.

Bowling Harbhajan has recently been criticized for his 17 wickets and 17 ODIs in 2011, achieving an average of 41.29. He conceded, however, less than five passes over each of his last seven ODI series.

Harbhajan said he was not always possible to take wickets in the shorter format with a focus on stopping the flow of execution, that the attack on India's hard to do.

"First of all, you need to decide, what are you waiting for small acquisitions in the form bowler. Do you expect him to five every time he bowls his 10 overs, or want him to put the narrow road, and forcing the opposition to play your hand. Low pressure points for the game, you can expect him to make doors. Belter song, you want to run dry.

"In the Caribbean, I took one for October 24 overs, scoring 41 plus in Antigua to be a day of the series. I must have done something good that has survived for 13 years. Who can be more worried about my performance as I am? "

Harbhajan, who is currently leading the Indian side of the green NKP Salve Challenger Trophy home, said he would focus on what the team wanted it. "I can not continue to adapt every time someone thought to write about me. All I can say is that I'm in great shape and full of vigor. I am willing to put my best foot forward."
Advertisement



Bookmark and Share This Post :


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More