Thursday 13 October 2011

'New setup' is keeping Oram motivated

Join 24/7 Cricket News For More Updates

New Zealand in Zimbabwe 2011-12

ESPNcricinfo staff

October 13, 2011

Jacob Oram, the New Zealand allrounder, says the fresh feel to the New Zealand setup after they made sweeping changes to their coaching staff last December is one of the things motivating him to continue playing international cricket. Oram underwent knee surgery in August 2010 and, after making a comeback this January, had suggested he might retire after the 2011 World Cup. However, he now says he is looking to carry on till next year's World Twenty20.

"This new era is one of the reasons I wanted to keep playing," Oram told New Zealand Herald. "I talked a lot this time last year about how if I came back from knee surgery, the World Cup might be my last tournament. I had a good World Cup, my body felt good and there was no reason to stop.

"But another reason is that I see a lot of excitement in today's culture of players and also the replacement of auxiliary personnel. It is no disrespect to former support staff. Everything is so new, I think it is injected into this enthusiasm in the bunch, which I hope to eat and make me feel a few years younger.''

After the loss of their 0-4 loss in an ODI series in Bangladesh last year, finished in New Zealand, a review of their cricket. In December, replaced John Wright Field Great Bach as a coach and a host of changes in support staff followed.

Oram has retired from the event, but part of the team for the second leg limited during the New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe, their assignment first time since the World Cup. But he admitted it was difficult to return to training for this season. After running New Zealand in the semifinals of the World Cup, where Oram took 12 wickets and was man of the match in the last quarter, he played in the IPL for Rajasthan Royals, then took off June

"When I started training again in July, I remember the first two sessions I had in the gym and I had absolutely zero motivation," said Oram. 'C' was very hard for me to go back because my goal for so long and what I thought was my last order was for World Cup Cricket.

"The decision to go was more a mental thing a material thing, but I can reset my goals and my new goal is next year's World Twenty20, which is only 11 months. That's what I am and where I want to peak again , and perhaps the line in the sand of my career. These levels of motivation are there again and the body feels good and I can not wait to go back.''

New Zealand will be favorites for the international Twenty20 and ODI series in Zimbabwe, which begins with the first T20I Harare on October 15. However, Oram said he did not take anything for granted.

"I think the key to this journey is not to get complacent, not to take Zimbabwe lightly, because if we are honest with ourselves, although we had a great World Cup we are not the most consistent side. We really need to start treating every game we play like it's a game knockout World Cup just so we can put ideas to the table, which justifies our level of talent. "
Advertisement



Bookmark and Share This Post :


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More