Sunday 7 August 2011

Injury Forces Retirement Shantry

Join 24/7 Cricket News For More Updates

Glamorgan seamer Adam Shantry was forced to retire at age 28 because of knee problems.

Shantry began his career in Northamptonshire and Warwickshire in the combined Glamorgan, before the 2008 season. He had surgery last winter, but the damage was sustained.

"It is with great sadness that I announce my retirement from professional cricket," he said. "After the surgery last year, and after undergoing successful rehabilitation in Australia during the winter, I returned to first-class cricket at the start of the season.

"Unfortunately, as last summer, it became apparent that my knees can no longer cope with the demands of professional cricket.

"While it is disappointing to leave the game so soon, I can look back many great memories, and I consider myself very fortunate to have played with and against some of the best players in the world. I loved every minute of it and I would like to thank all players, coaches and contributors who helped make my career so enjoyable. "

Shantry had an outstanding 2008 season with 30 doors and 18 - the return of the most economical bowler Glamorgan for 40 years and scored his only top hundred in Colwyn Bay in 2009.

But in subsequent seasons, and injuries have haunted his career, ends up taking 90 wickets in 32 matches first-class, average 24.60. He also claimed 13 scalps in the list of 12 games and made a solitary appearance in the Twenty20, for Northants in 2004.

Colin Metso, Glamorgan cricket and CEO, said: "It 's always sad when a career ends Adam worked hard over the winter to get fitness and it is disappointing, it did not work for him was hard work, honest cricketer committed, characteristics that help him in the future ... "

Advertisement



Bookmark and Share This Post :


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More